Search This Blog

Wednesday, March 24, 2010

To-Do: Do not freak out over To-Do List

Let me start by saying that I know I am not alone in creating a prison - כלא - of my own making.

How dramatic. What that means in plain English (or Heiblish) is that I know I'm not the only one who creates endless, insurmountable to-do lists. I do believe a whole genre (or should I say section in Barnes & Noble) of self-help books addresses this issue, at least in overscheduled America. And I've read a few chapters on this myself, with the central message being that one cannot expect to get everything on the list done in one day, so the healthiest thing to do is just be happy with the one major task, or few minor tasks, that you're able to cross off each day.

To which I say: HA!! Do they know what's involved in the life of an Olah Chadasha?? I'll allow you to sneak a peek at my current, endlessly updated list, and then tell me if you could be all zen about it:

*Call washing machine tech for installation (decide if machine should go on porch or in bathroom)
*Have same tech measure microwave area to ensure it will fit microwave; if not, haul microwave back to store in back of friend's car
*Supplicate self to friend with car if necessary as above
*Call Citibank on local American line
*Call Ikea Dude (guy who is returning items I don't want to Ikea for a fee) on local Israeli line
*Call friends A, B & C on cell (Try to wiggle out of calls as fast as possible - hate phones!! Har Har)
*Buy bottle of wine for Shabbat lunch at friend who cooks like gourmand
*Buy pots and pans so can learn to cook like gourmand
*Buy new, צנוע dresses for Pesach as cap sleeved frocks inappropriate
*Wear sunscreen on arms so as not to freckle in insanely hot Middle Eastern sun
*Go running (For real this time! Snooze button is not an option!)
*Learn Israeli culture so do not freak out each time cultural norm is breached (every 5 minutes)
*Get more Crest White Strips so can begin to fix damage incurred by 3 daily cappucinos (Decided that tooth color was a sacrifice I was willing to make in lieu of delicious java)
*Go on YouTube and attempt to watch latest episode of Gossip Girl in five separate parts (likely will see parts 1, 3 & 5). Dream about Chuck Bass for minimum of 10 minutes.
*Read "Bridget Jones's Diary" for the 27th time (literally) since arrived in Holy Land
*Begin saving money - specifically in each of the following 3 jars on my kitchen countertop: Shoe Fund; Beer Money; Girl's Night Out
*Update to-do list

You see what I mean???? Thus far today, I've put my nose to the grindstone (ow) and checked off the YouTube and Bridget Jones items. And I should add "Eat bakery item" to the list since I know I will successfully accomplish that today.

Please chime in - I would love to hear your comments about your personal to-do lists. Happy Pesach (cleaning)!

1 comment: