Search This Blog

Wednesday, April 14, 2010

תקס on 15.04.2010 at 20:00


Good day!

I was walking home yesterday on Rochel Imeinu, the main road that leads from the German Colony to my home in Katamon. In passing, I glanced at a sign on a bus shelter and quickly assimilated the following information:

תקס ליום הזכרון
15.04.2010, 20:00
רחוב הפלמח

It was then I knew:
I am well on my way to becoming a full fledged Israeli.

Q. How did I know this?
A. Because such a sign would have baffled me just a few short months ago. I knew what יום הזכרון was - Israel's National Memorial Day for the Fallen and the Victims of Terror.

But I never would have known that:
  • תקס = Ceremony
  • 15.04.2010 = April 15, 2010
  • 20:00 = 8:00pm
  • Where the heck רחוב הפלמח (Palmach Road) is. Answer: In the Katamon neighborhood, a street away from my house
Plus, I never could have typed many of the words above in Hebrew. (First because my computer didnt have the capacity, and once it did, because I psychologically couldn't deal with trying to figure out where the letters were.)

So I'm really coming along! I'm glad to see it since I feared, deep in my heart, that I could never hope to master the European metric system, military time or Israeli keyboard (all equally inexplicable and terrifying).

Can I get a what what??

In honor of all those died sacrificing themselves for the nation of Israel

1 comment: